Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Shake of the Hand

Well, Wednesday afternoon I ended calling B, right before I had to pick my kids up from school. Mulled over it a good hour before "biting the bullet". I asked him straight out if I would see him Saturday night. He said he didn't know, that he was trying to organise a lift. "Why do you need a lift?" I asked him. His reply was because he wanted to 'get on the can' (drink) and hasn't been really able to in a while. Oh poor baby."Uh-huh" was all I could say to that. He asked me what was new and what Id been up to, and I said a lot can happen in six weeks and that I couldn't talk anyway because I was doing the school run. The call lasted a minute.

A few minutes later I texted him offering that I could pick him up after work if he could arrange to get there. He replied "see how we go."

So, the allure of drink is more appealing. What the? I guess its safer for him. His wife would be used to that at least.

I also noticed he changed his profile picture to one of him at some music festival holding a can of drink...

Last night I went out with some girlfriends (including my new friend, the wife of the guy I had coffee with a week ago) and had dinner at the local pub where B hangs out. This night was not arranged by me in any way. As I parked I could see B in his usual spot. And he watched as I walked in. I went and said hi to my friends who were inside, and then went and got a drink from one of the bars that opens to outside where B was and stood where I knew he'd be able to see me. And see me he did. He gave me a nod of acknowledgment, and I smiled back.

It took him half an hour, but I was pleased when he texted me asking me what my plans were. I asked him how long he was staying for and he replied "about 5" but I didn't understand what he meant and thought perhaps 5 hours! He actually meant 5 minutes (lol), that he was having one more beer and would be leaving so I asked if he wanted me to come and say hi. he said "sure" and told me that one of the girls (the one I see at the gym who lives next to one of my best friends etc etc) would be here soon too.

The timing was great because I had to pick up my 2 younger kids from a friends house shortly, so I said goodbye to my dinner friends and went to finish my drink with B and his friends. He was at the bar when I sat down so I spoke to - lets call her "A" - and her housemate, one of B's workmates - until B returned. When he came back he said hello, and shook my hand in greeting. Oh my. What a game.

And, for the next 15 minutes, I think B and i must of said 2 sentences; the rest of the time I spoke to A. Who is just lovely. I was aware the whole time of when B was watching the footy, or when he was watching me as I talked to A. I had just had a spray tan a day or two before, my first one, and at one point as I was talking to A about it, I purposely took my jacket off to show her because I knew B was watching. But I couldnt talk to B because I was worried Id give something away in front of A! Girls are more perceptive than guys.

Toward the end, I told her how many kids I had, and she was saying how good I looked etc, and then B was making out he didn't know how many I had, continuing the game.

I told A I would no doubt see her at the gym - don't know if B knows we both go there or not - and told B I would "see him later".

But, who knows if and when that will happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment